North Carolina's Dance Party
Our focus is Learning and Social Dancing for all levels!
We are a WSDC registry event!
We offer Jack & Jill Competitions in the following Divisions:
All Jack & Jill Competitions (Prelims and Finals) are conducted on Saturday – NO Comps on Sunday!!!!!
Strictly Swing ******* New This Year!!! *******
For the first time, we will be adding Strictly Swing Competitions on Friday Evening in the following Divisions:
Swing 16 - We are again a Qualifying Event for Season 3!!!!
Join in the excitement of this unique “Tournament Style” competition!! See the Swing 16 Website for complete details.
Lots of Social Dancing
What makes CWF so amazing? Our emphasis on social dancing, learning, and the ability to explore other dance styles in addition to West Coast Swing. At our core, we value the inclusion of all levels, both within West Coast Swing, as well across complementary dance styles.
To this end, we are excited to announce that for 2019, in addition to our Main Room which will remain primarily focused on West Coast Swing ……. we will be introducing a “Carolina Mix Room” for social dancing on both Friday and Saturday nights!
In addition, we are pleased that Charlotte Latin Dance, Carolina Ballroom Dance Club, and Queen City Blues will once again be hosting dances in our secondary rooms throughout the event weekend.
The details are:
On Friday Night –
- New for 2019 is our “Carolina Mix Room” – we will be playing a mix of WCS, Shag, Hustle, Country-Western Two-Step (CW2) and Night Club Two-step (NC2) for social dancing beginning at 8:30 pm in the Secondary (Lakeshore) Ballroom. This will provide a great option for those not interested in competing in the Strictly Swing contests to social dance to all the styles of dance that we will be teaching over the weekend, to warm up prior to competing, and then complement the Main Room social dancing after the completion of the Strictly Swing competitions.
- Charlotte Latin Dance will once again be hosting both a room featuring various forms of Latin-style dances (Mambo, Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Cha Cha & others) as well as a room focused on Kizomba/Zouk. Complete details can be found on their Facebook Event page at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1847321655302391/
On Saturday Night –
- Carolina Ballroom Dance Club will again be moving their monthly dance to our secondary room, starting off at 7 pm with a Intro to WCS lesson, a a lesson in American Tango at 8 pm, and dancing from 9 pm until midnight. For details, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/377514476152004/
- Queen City Blues will once again host a Blues Room Dance in our 4th room – featuring 3 lessons at 7, 8, & 9 pm followed by dancing all night long. Information for the Blue Night can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/events/2208531429358803/
- And ……… As on Friday night, we will again conduct a “Carolina Mix Room” in our 3rd room (overlooking the lake behind the hotel) from 8 pm until Midnight, at which time we will transition the “Mix Room” to the Secondary Ballroom upon the completion of the Ballroom Dance Night activities!
And, don’t forget …… we also have social dances on both Thursday night (starting with a pre-dance lesson at 8 pm and then dancing until the sun comes up) as well as Sunday night into early Monday morning (including a lesson at 8 pm for those who aren’t interested in watching the Super Bowl).
What are you waiting for?
Learn West Coast Swing, Shag, Country Two-Step, Nightclub 2 Step, & Hustle ...... along with a taste of Latin, Ballroom, and Blues!!!
With our amazing staff we are able to offer workshops not only for West Coast Swing but also provide the opportunity to “dip your toes” into: Shag, Country Two-Step, Nightclub 2 Step, Hustle, Latin, Ballroom, and Blues!
If you have been looking for a chance to check out other dance styles – or, re-visit some dance styles other than WCS ……. CharlotteWestieFest is the place for you to do so!
Special Sessions & Intensives
In addition to the many workshops, we will be offering a few “Add-On Sessions” that can help you “raise your game” as you look to grow your dance abilities.
For those interested in, or already teaching, we will again be offering both Level 1 and Level 2 Sessions of the Global Professional Dance Instructors Association (GPDIA) Teacher’s Training & Certification program. For more information, details, and to register for these sessions (and to take advantage of the special pricing that we offer during our event weekend), please visit their website at:
In addition, we will be offering the following Two-Hour Sessions/Intensives:
- Core to Floor – led by Jeff Mumford and Megan Dupree (Friday from 2 – 4 pm). Details at: https://www.facebook.com/events/598425917301788/
- SWAG – The Fusion of Swing & Shag Styling featuring WCS Champion Patty Vo along with Shag Champions Scott Campbell & Nikki Kontoulas (Friday from 5 – 7 pm). Information at: https://www.facebook.com/events/2374090455956295/
- A Hustle Intensive by Hustle Champion and Pro Stephanie Risser-Loveira (Saturday from 5 – 7 pm). Complete details available at: https://www.facebook.com/events/360303564523680/
- A Latin Styling & Technique Intensive (Details Coming Soon)
- Leveled Competitors Video Review, Critique and Observational Feedback Sessions on Sunday – In these sessions, for only $5, attendees will have the opportunity to sign-up for a 5 minute one-on-one consultation with staff members who judged their respective competitions during the weekend to review and get some feedback on how they danced during the contests.
Other Special Sessions include:
- Three Sessions of “10-for-$10’s” – sign-up for a “quick tune-up” with many of our staff. For only $10, you get 10 minutes of one-on-one time with a staff member to work on 1 or 2 things that can help better your dancing, address something you have been struggling with, or just fine-tune an aspect of your dancing. These 2-hour sessions will be scheduled throughout the weekend – see the schedule for specific times.
- Our unique “Grow Your Dance Session” – this free two-hour session is where we invite the Newcomer and Novice level dancers to come and interact in small group settings with some of our staff and select All-Star dancers in an effort to help answer questions, provide insights, learn new things, and foster the development of everyone’s level of dance.
- The “Project Swing Workshop” – this 2-hour Session is open to everyone! If you have a friend who has not yet “dipped their toes” into dancing, this Session is the perfect way to introduce them to West Coast Swing. On Saturday from 5 – 7 pm, we open our secondary ballroom to anyone who would like to see what our dance is all about.
- Resilient Westies with Katie Bigelow, M,Ed. Join Katie Saturday morning at 10:00 for a 1-hour Session where she will cover topics on injury prevention, sport performance, and more as they relate to dance concepts. For complete details, please visit her page at: https://www.facebook.com/ResilientWesties/
Sq Ft of Ballroom
Instructional, Competition, Emcee & Judging Staff
Meet our amazing staff
We are working to finalize our 2019 Staff – but, we can confirm that the following individuals will be here:
Robert Cordoba * Patty Vo * PJ Turner * Dawn Garrish
Bonnie & Jerome Subey * Michael Kiehm * Jason Miklic & Sophy Kdep
Jason & Annmarie Marker * Doug Silton * Kris Swearingen & Toro Eaker
Robin Smith * Debbie Ramsey-Boz * Stephanie Risser-Loveira * Jason Barnes
Doug Rousar * Bryan Jordan * Jeff Mumford * Jake Haning
Kay Newhouse * Alyssa Gillespie * Debbie Tuttle-Steffanina * Erica Smith
Matt Smith * Demery & Derek Leyva * Alan Annicella * Ryan Boz
Abi & Stephane Schneider * Rob Glover * Pam & Brian Bennett
Raquel W. Nielsen * Whitney Bartlett * Carrie Smith * Elise Herman
Sharole Lashe Negrete * Nikki Kontoulas & Scott Campbell (Shag)
and …. Stay Tuned, we may have More Yet to Come!!!!!!!
Meet our amazing DJ staff
We are working to finalize our DJ Staff, but we are pleased to confirm the following individuals will be in the booth:
Victor Loveira (Head DJ)
Anthony Derosa (Greensboro via NYC) * Kristen Shaw (Northeast Region)
Josh Angel (Florida) * Anne Rohrer (Florida)
Jasson Phillips (Raleigh-Durham) * Matt Johnson (Charlotte)
And …. we are might have another surprise or two join us in the DJ booth over the weekend – we will keep you updated as we continue to look at bringing in some additional and familiar names from outside the region this year!!!
Complementary Dance Instructors
In addition to our Primary Staff – Joining us will be various Complementary Dance Style Instructors
We are working with the coordinators of the various secondary room dances as well as those from our local & regional dance communities to confirm the full list of instructors that will be teaching the workshops in:
Shag – Ashley & Tobitha Stewart as well as Stephen Balok
Ballroom – Sebastian & Brigette Wrenn
Latin / Kizomba – Heather Greening * Betto Herrera * Adylson Ramos
Blues – Markis Allen * Maggie Haggerty * Kenneth Shipp * Katrina Rogers
*** Some Highlights For Planning Purposes ***
Our Thursday Night activities will start at 8:00 pm with a workshop taught by PJ Turner and Patty Vo!!! Dancing will being at 9:00 pm and go as long as there are people on the dance floor!
Workshops will begin at Noon on Friday!
New This Year – Strictly Swing Competitions will be conducted on Friday Evening between 9:00 – 11:00 pm.
All Jack & Jill Competitions – as well as the Swing 16 Prelims and Finals – are conducted on Saturday. The Prelims are done in the early afternoon, with the Finals scheduled for Saturday evening … with all competitions completed prior to 11:00 pm so that we can get Social Dancing started at a reasonable time!
On Sunday, the event winds down, with a Super Bowl watch party in the hotel lobby bar, a “Non-Football Lovers (NFL)” workshop at 8:00 pm, and dancing from 9:00 pm until sometime around 3 or 4 am Monday morning!
Please keep these time frames in mind when making your travel plans!
Weekend Passes and Competition Registration are Now Available via the World Dance Registry Registration System
check our previous CWF photos, you don’t want to miss #CWF2019
these awesome companies support us
Special Thanks to the following individuals who support our event!